Monday 6 November 2006

Cinderella Man (2005)

Although there have been some really terrific boxing movies over the years, I always surprise myself that I can like any of them, since the idea of two men beating each other to a pulp is not really my idea of entertainment.  This film by Ron Howard, a director who has always struck me as a very competent hack, is amazingly well done and involving.  In his second teaming with Russell Crowe -- an excellent actor but a hard-to-take personality, Howard tells the true story of James Braddock, a washed-up fighter who made an amazing comeback to take the heavyweight world title in the l930s.  The film has a lot in common with the racing movie "Seabiscuit" where an underdog proves an inspiration for the man in the street.  Set at the height of the Depression, Braddock could barely support his family and had lost his license to fight through various injuries and lacklustre performances.  His regeneration which started only as a much-needed moneymaking exercise was dramatically and movingly told.  I didn't think much of Renee Zellweger as the faithful wife frantic to keep her family together, but Paul Giamatti as Braddock's manager was absolutely superb, and, credit where it is due, Crowe was also great.  Yes, if you ask me objectively, I hate boxing movies, but this film joins the growing exceptions to that rule.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I Loooooved this movie...awesome!  TerryAnn

Anonymous said...

I loved this movie too. I found it moving to tears at times and inspiring too.
Kate.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/bobandkate/AnAnalysisofLife/
http://journals.aol.co.uk/bobandkate/20062007-journal-index/

Anonymous said...

Zellweger was rubbish and Giamatti brilliant but the thing I found surprising, given
the ease with which Hollywood can play the heartstrings, is that the film left me
feeling completely indifferent to Braddock's fate.