Sunday 6 January 2008

St. Trinian's (2007)

Much against my better judgment, we went to see this new release at the cinema.  Granted we had some free passes, but I probably should have followed my gut instinct and used these for something more worthwhile.  Saying that I hated the movie is far too extreme; I just thought it was a complete waste of time -- a film without any sense of fun or glee.  I admit that I shall always cherish Alastair Sim in the dual role of the headmistress and her somewhat shady brother and am quite prepared to admit that I might not even like the original film were I to see it now for the first time.  However the the original movie, despite the diminishing returns of its sequels, had a certain charm and dare I say innocence which are sorely lacking from this updating.

Rupert Everett makes a bold go at the Sim role and nearly pulls it off, but Colin Firth in the role of the man from the Education Ministry only manages to embarrass himself, and man of the moment Russell Brand was nothing short of cringe-making in the Flash Harry role.  Believe me, not every film needs to be "re-imagined", especially if they were not particularly great movies the first time around.  As for all the schoolgirl totty on display -- possibly the only excuse for any modern-day success -- none of the many actresses were particularly notable for anything other than their looks -- and poor old Jodie Whittaker who made a big impact in "Venus" was particularly bad.

However if you would like a completely different take on this movie, read the users' comments on IMDB which are by and large rapturous.  I never claimed to be at ease with popular taste and in this case I would appear to be the odd man out with a vengeance.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Most of them aren't even particularly noticeable for their looks, the stand-out
being the former Head Girl played by Mischa Barton.   It just goes to show that
newspaper reviewers must see different films as the ones for this mes were
by and large very favourable.

Anonymous said...

They should never have made this. Somethings are best left alone.