Friday 21 December 2007

Movies on TV This Christmas

As in previous years, I offer my advice (for what it's worth) on the films showing on the box this holiday season.  Of the literally hundreds of movies being screened, it is something of a washout from my point of view, since there are all of five premieres on terrestrial TV that I have not seen.  Actually I shall watch all of these since I have high hopes for at least four of them, starting with "Merry Christmas/Joyeux Noel" tomorrow afternoon.  I have heard some good things about this 'time out of war' film.  The other possibilities are "The Ice Princess" (probably blah) and "The History Boys" on the 28th, "Anything Else" -- another ignored Woody Allen movie -- on 2 January, and "Strings", a promising puppet film, on the morning of 4 January.

The satellite selection is not much better since I have already seen all of Sky's "big" offerings and am left with a total of seven movies that I've not viewed previously over the period.  Since two of these are animated and one is in rotoscope (a process I just can not warm to), that leaves pretty much "A Big Nothing" (one of the possible titles).  What I am actually looking forward to most of all is an offering from German satellite, "Der Rosenkavalier" -- a silent opera from 1926.  The thought of silent opera really grabs me!

Assuming that the rest of you are not quite so demented about movies as I am, I would recommend the following as the best terrestrial premieres over the period -- assuming you've not already seen them or have no desire to do so.  I would start with "The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou" late evening tomorrow, something of an offbeat romp.  Good family viewing on Christmas Eve afternoon on BBCl can be found with "Ella Enchanted" and "Lemony Snicket's..."  For proper adult viewing, don't miss the Korean shocker "Oldboy" on Channel 4 late evening on the 24th.  Back to recommended family viewing on Christmas Day on BBCl again with the double-bill of "Finding Nemo" and "Shrek 2".  The Russian fantasy "Nightwatch" which I saw a few years back is on Channel 4 late on the 27th.  A change of pace is on offer on BBC2 late on the 29th, with the Brazilian revenge drama "The Three Marias".  A number of the Japanese animations are on over the period, but the best is "Princess Mononoke", again on 4, on the afternoon of the 3lst.  Finally, I truly enjoyed "Finding Neverland" with Johnny Depp as J.M. Barrie, showing on BBC2 on New Year's Day.

I feel duty-bound to warn you that there is some real dross amongst the other premiere showings.  I'm thinking here of embarrassing offerings like "Garfield" and "The Cat in the Hat".  Avoid!

I'll probably post at least once more before Christmas since I have National Film Theatre tickets for a couple of real oddities tonight and tomorrow night, but in the meantime may I wish you all a joyful holiday. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My son was a Garfield fanatic, but after a while I found him to be depressive rather than fun like 'cute cats' are.  I like the kitty in Pirates of the Carribean though :)

Neverending Story, Polar Express and such like are my viewing for Christmas, keep it light, keep it fantasy :) for the big screen things.........mood things.

(((((Merry Christmas JP )))))) thanks for the reviews, I've a list that's gone into two pages.  When I'll see them I don't know, but you'll come to mind in each one.  Have a good one :)

Rache

Anonymous said...

Seen the history boys ... it is excellent !!
regards and have a great Xmas
Shaun
http://journals.aol.co.uk/shauntanner/Tenthirteengoesforth/