Sunday 16 September 2007

The 'Burbs (1989)

Unlike the film reviewed below, not all movies can stand a second viewing or better yet a re-evaluation of their reputation.  I was frankly puzzled when I came across the above film in my collection, since I can't imagine ever purchasing it, unless it was a make-weight for a "buy 5 for £20" offer or something.  Anyhow since there were some potential possibilities in its favour, I popped it into my player.

So what were these possibilities?  Well for a start there was an incredibly young-looking Tom Hanks who I used to really like before he came over all serious.  Then there was Bruce Dern, an actor I have always admired for the something out-of-kilter behaviour behind his knowing smile.  Further, there was a final film appearance from one Brother Theodore who about a million years ago presented a cult late-night sick humour stand-up in New York; I'm not positive that I ever actually saw him, but I certainly knew about him.  So far so good, but unfortunately not enough.  The story concerns neighbours in a supposedly quiet suburban backwater who become suspicious about the possibly dark deeds being committed by the never-seen newcomer weirdies, as played by Henry Gibson, Brother T. and a ghoulish-looking youngster.  This paranoia is fuelled by Hanks' buddy Rick Ducommun, an actor I knew nothing about when I first saw this film and whom I still know nothing about, who fills his friends' heads with grisly scenarios -- until they are breaking and entering and ultimately destroying the house in question.  Is any of this funny?  No, not really.  The one person on the block who thinks it is entertaining is that ubiquitous kid from the '80s, Corey Feldman, who invites all his mates 'round to watch the fireworks.  As he says at the film's end, "I love this street" -- but he's the only one who would willingly return. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't like this film but it was one of those I needed to see the end of.  Tom Hanks was very young in it but you can see he hasn't lost that confused, cogs are ticking stare he does in some of his comedy rolls. Rache

Anonymous said...

Sure I vaguely remember this. It's interesting looking back at Tom Hanks - you're right. I remember him from the Money Pit which had me in stitches over and over when I was young "Home s**t home!". On the other hand saw Philadelphia for the first time last week (which is perfectly understated, and there he wears a load of different faces as time progresses), and Road to Perdition for the billionth time (noticed the lighting this time in the boardroom scene where the 3 leads are shown in darkness with the light just on one half of their face while the rest are shown in full, and the sound of the ticker card on the kids bike - cool small details). And he's one of those Hollywood types who can actually play a character rather than playing himself. Well almost.