Wednesday 16 May 2007

The Prestige (2006)

Frankly I did not find this film as well-made as director Christopher Nolan's earlier ones -- it was a bit overlong and too leisurely in its approach -- but this did not stop it being a superior watch, largely because of the quality of the acting and two really socko twists in the tail.  Two aspiring magicians played by Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman start out as friends but become bitter rivals after the death of Jackman's wife.  Both aspire to be the best and will do anything in their power to steal the other's secrets and to upstage each other.  Bale is the more proficient conjurer, but Jackman has the greater theatrical flair and can not stand the idea that Bale is outshining him.  For my money, Bale wins the acting stakes hands down, since Jackman has always seemed something of a lightweight to me; but since he plays the lesser talent here, that actually serves the film's ends.  Fine support comes from the ever reliable Michael Caine, Scarlett Johannson, and a surprising David Bowie as the eccentric inventor Tesla.  Like "The Illusionist" reviewed somewhere in my archives below, this film has a great sense of period and wonderful art decoration, but having seen that film first, I did marginally prefer it.  Possibly had I seen this one first, the reverse might well have been the case;  it's still well worth seeking out.

http://technorati.com/claim/j6jxcnfbdt

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You..know I can remember if I saw this one or not..sounds so much like I have..gonna check it at the video store and see if did now...LOL..have a great week!  Hugs,TerryAnn

Anonymous said...

Yes I got to the cinema to watch this very enjoyable film and could not wait to get the DVD to watch it again   - there is so much to capture the mind in this film it only increases in it's excitement and involvement each time.

However, I do not agree with you in respect of Hugh at all.  Christian Bale is very good indeed but his accent grates and does not hit the mark and this I  know because I am very famiar with the accent. Hugh is not a light weight actor at all did you see Erskinville Kings for example the pathos and the tortured  soul of Wace a character that Jackman really brought him to many peoples notice.  His fantastic talent as an actor and showman enables him to switch from Oklahoma to the well love Wolverine and make an enormous hit.  He weaves from screent o stage and back again with the ease of a true professional actor.  What he needs is a good script a director who is working for the good of the film and not himself and  Hugh Jackman will deliver in spades

Anonymous said...

'Bale is the more proficient '


That's all you need to say really.....

Anonymous said...

Bale had the showier part in many ways and I agree with the comment that his
accent was somewhat odd but it did help distinguish him from Jackman who did
make a good fist of his part with possibly less meat to chew on.   Scarlett
Johannson has yet to convince me she has any great depths, cleavage apart, and
I concur with your comments on both Caine and Bowie.