Wednesday 25 April 2007

Date Movie (2006)

While I can't say that this is the worst modern so-called comedy I have ever seen, since I had the misfortune of seeing "Freddy Got Fingered", it is an absolutely dire effort to spoof recent rom-com movies.  Starring Alyson Hannigan, the likeable "band-camp" gal from the "American Pie" series, she lowers her horizons by starting off in a ghastly fat suit a la "Shallow Hal" whilst working at her family's Greek restaurant (despite the fact that her father is black, her mother Indian, and her sister Japanese).  Streamlined into something of a looker by date-doctor Hitch (played by a black midget), she falls for a David Spade lookalike called Adam Campbell whom I know not.  His ex-girlfriend and her family are against the match, but a wedding is planned with an enormously fat-assed wedding planner called Jell-O...and so it continues with time taken to focus on a farting cat and a foul-mouthed baby.  Only Jennifer Coolidge as a Barbra Streisand clone from "Meet the Fokkers" is even vaguely amusing.  What I really hate about films like this one is how they can fatally spoil happy memories that one has from other movies, like the 'I Say a Little Prayer for You' singsong from "My Best Friend's Wedding".  Incidentally the Campbell character's surname is Fockyerdoder.  Hysterical or what?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not my sort of movie. I will be giving this one a miss.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/acoward15/andy-the-bastard

Anonymous said...

I half expected some reference to 'American Pie' in view of the lead but did not
see one though my attention was not exactly razor sharp.   I suppose funding for
dross like this is easy partly because not much as required and partly because
films like this seem to do sufficiently well at the box office.   I suppose this is true
in other fields of art - reality tv seems more popular than well-made drama and
the regular output of betrayed wives, diseases of the week and the like, though
competently made (usually) leave little room for non-formula programmes.   Even
the latter are often poorly made juvenilia.   'Serious' art could be said to display
the same sort of thing with unmade beds and the like!