Monday 15 January 2007

Dreamer: Inspired by a True Story (2005)

Were it not for the heavyweight casting, I would have expected this horsey movie to have been made for TV.  But with three generations of horse lovers played by Kris Kristofferson, Kurt Russell (again), and Dakota Fanning and with Elizabeth Shue, David Morse, Luis Guzman, and Freddy Rodriguez in support, you can be certain that it was intended as a full-blown feature film.  It's a story we've seen before as injured horse recovers to become the underdog (underhorse?) in a big race.  I think it was called "Seabiscuit" most recently!  Yet it was completely watchable despite its predictability, largely due to the uncanny Miss Fanning -- I sometimes think she must be a very small adult in the guise of a child.  Talking about young female actresses stealing the glory from all other players, I also saw "Bee Season" (2005) yesterday which was so pretentious that it barely needs mentioning, except to say that the ll-year daughter of the family, played by Flora Cross was exceptional.  Watch out for the competition Dakota.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know I picked this one up and we didn't get to watch it...keep putting it off...think I will recheck it out and watch it with my daughter!  Thanks for sharing!  have a great week!! TerryAnn